Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: Mason Ham
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 14:15:43 -0400

I have to agree with Dan on this ... I am most worried that if we make
people learn new things we are sunk ... people are having a heck of time
staying up with the stuff that is being put out with out us ... throw us in
the mix with all new protocol's etc, and well, I just don't think that I
would bother .... I mean if I was working in Corp. land, and I have a
project to do, I am going to have to fight to get dotGNU anyway, you can get
fired for using opensource at companies still ;-) Now I have to tell my boss
that there is a whole new set of protocols that are not the ones that
everyone has been going to training for ... and well I think that is hard
sell.

Speaking of which, I propose that we ... after we have stuff ... work with a
few of the training orgs. How many people on the this list are willing to do
say a two day seminar on Web services, how and were it works etc. dotGNU as
another of the web services platform could be very, VERY well received if we
start having a formal seminar or Jump start not only on our stuff but the
Web service in general. My company is in the middle of setting up one of
these and so it occurred to me that if we work with some of the training
groups, that may be the best way to "make ourselves" known to people ...
that of coarse means that we need something soon. Very soon. The cost of
mind share right now is very low. There is so much FUD out there about web
services, that people who are giving real world examples win. So if some of
us (being paid of coarse) put together seminars etc, and actually pressed
the flesh, it might be very good. Remember most corps are still trying to
deal legal issues for technology from 3 years ago. If we can show how for in
the united states corps say: You can comply with GBL using our
Authentication system ... well ... that is goodness. Also, we should make
sure that we are aware of all the different legal issues that our out there.
That means primarily EU Privacy and then things like S70, HIPAA for
companies here in the states, others for the other countries need to chime
in.

Just my two cents.

Mason