Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Propoganda starts at home...
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 22:43:30 -0700

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

> I tend to agree, if we can go for a standard protocol, we should.
> However we can't get caught up on a compatibility cross-fire, so to
> speak.  If we need to create a new protocol in order to get something
> done correctly that's not well done in other ways, then that's what we
> need to do.  We can't be afraid to bite the bullet here and create
> something new.  But, in the case of something like SOAP and/or XML-RPC,
> then we should use the standardized version.

I agree completely. If the existing standard doesnt cut it, then we
shouldnt hold back on creating our own. But... I think the proposal was
to not use SOAP even before we found that it couldnt work. I think it
will work and that is why I think we should use it. Not simply because
its an existing standard...

<side_rant>
I am not shy about defining my own protocols, it is exactly what I am
doing with OGS (http://www.ogsproject.org) and my implementation using
phpGroupWare (http://www.phpgroupware.org). No standard exist to compete
with Exchange or Lotus Notes. IMAP isnt the right solution, so Im
working on my own using SOAP and XML-RPC.

This is the reason I am trying to work with the DotGNU project and help
guide it as much as I can. I would like to implement the groupware
services in the context of the overall DotGNU project and since I run
the phpGroupWare project I can help give DotGNU some real services in
rapid time.
I am also pushing projects like OpenOffice to use my OGS concept... so
the sooner we hammer out the DotGNU direction, the sooner I can swing
OGS to fit into the puzzle. Now is a perfect time, because the OGS
protocol is just starting to form and the implementation can benefit by
using what all you brilliant people can come up with, and our code can
be tweaked to fit, now while its still forming. Rather than later when
we may have other code dependant on the SOAP interfaces.
</side_rant>

btw, keep up all the great work. I think DotGNU can make serious impact
and push forward long term solutions. And ones that Microsoft will not
be able to control.

Seek3r