Re: [DotGNU]can we implement Java for our auth system?

From: Barry Fitzgerald
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]can we implement Java for our auth system?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 12:36:47 -0400

Jeremy Petzold wrote:

> Barry,
>
> I read your Paper on the RLS system, it intrigued me.
> the system is clear, simple, and straight forward, and such a system would be
> simple to add into applications like word processors, and IDEs, ect.
> the one question that I have is why is there no standard token format? what
> advantages does that give to the system that having a standard format does
> not?
> I would think that it would make it more difficult on the server side to
> process the RLS with out a standard format. Am I missing something?

Hehe, yes - the tokens spec document that I have yet to publish.  And,
as far as credit is concerned - the RLS is more myrddian's idea than
mine - It was then mutated when I added the tokens idea...

I'm putting a final polish on the tokens spec right now, it's a bit
wordier than the RLS spec was, so it's going to take slightly more
time.  I wanted to have it up last night, but that didn't happen as I
had planned...

> other than that, I believe that the RLS system would be a very good route to
> go. what have you put together as of right now?

Hehe, so far - what you're reading is what we've got - and the tokens
spec that I just talked about.  I wanted to put these ideas up to the
list before doing anything else.  Besides that, Adam Theo has some
interesting ideas about Jabber that might be usable.  I suggest taking a
look at the Jabber specs and thinking about how we can
cross-pollinate...