Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft.NET compatibility

From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft.NET compatibility
Date: 25 Jul 2001 15:31:12 -0700

Hello,

On 25 Jul 2001 19:59:02 +0500, meson wrote:
> Do you realize that by taking the responsibility of .NET
> compatibility you are targeting a moving platform? Consider this
> statement given a long time ago by some Microsoft manager (I don't
> remember the exact words) "We must keep the Windows API a moving
> target since we are NOT in the BIOS business". By drastically changing
> the .NET platform Microsoft can seriously dent our claim of 'backward
> compatibility' at any time it chooses.

Well, I think that as long as DotGNU supports enough of .NET to
statisfy the majority of developers, we should be OK.

Remember, there will be alot of application that have already been
written (for .NET), and will not be changed just to use the newest
features that Microsoft comes up with.  To support these applications
we don't need to support the newest feature set.

Also, developers (writing new applications) will not always use the
newest features.  They'll just use the stuff they already know.
And if we support `that much' of .NET, then we'll satisfy them too.

But, it is likely (if .NET still has the majority of developers) that
we'll have to support those new feature eventually.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux