Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft.NET compatibility

From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft.NET compatibility
Date: 26 Jul 2001 01:30:23 -0700

Hello,

On 26 Jul 2001 08:29:35 +0500, meson wrote:
> OK. So supporting ECMA compliant features is kewl. I didnt know to what
> extent Microsoft is standardizing the .NET platform. But then I have another
> question: If .dotgnu follows the ECMA standard to the letter, and Microsoft
> also follows it to the letter, how do you justify the slogan 'dotgnu is much
> more than .NET'.

Well, I can give an example.  (I don't completely understand what .NET
is, so some of this could be said in ignorance.)

On Microsoft's .NET, all programs are compiled to the IL (... I think
what is what it is called... the VM/bytecode system that they've
created for .NET) can interact.  (As I understand it) VB, C, C++,
and C# will all compile to this... and through this they will be
able to interact.

With DotGNU (... if I understand what people are proposing...)
programs compiled to .NET's IL bytecode format, Java's JVM
bytecode format, or the new DotGNU bytecode format will be
able to interact.

So I'd say, just because of this, DotGNU is better than .NET.

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux