Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft.NET compatibility

From: Charles Iliya Krempeaux
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft.NET compatibility
Date: 25 Jul 2001 18:40:06 -0700

Hello,

On 26 Jul 2001 10:52:36 +1000, Rhys Weatherley wrote:

[...]

> One thing that gets lost in the Java vs MS debate is
> that Microsoft's attempt to embrace and extend the
> Java platform did backfire on them a bit.  PR-wise
> they were monumentally hit.

Speaking about Java... Java seems to have become a very big
part of big business.  Many are using Java as a kind
of Network OS.

There was some article in the local paper here (in
BC, Canada) about alot of big businesses not using
Win 2000 at all because of its lack of Java support.

IMO, this alone is a big reason to support (1) the Java
Virtual Machine, (2) the Java language, and (3) the
Java standard libraries (and the popular extensions)
as part of DotGNU... if we wanted to become adopted.

Even with our efforts to create a new and better Virtual
Machine (and bytecode format), it should be a top priority
to create a Java compiler to compile to the new bytecode
format (for the new VM).  (And maybe persuade Sun to support
the new bytecode format in the compilers they create.)

See ya

     Charles Iliya Krempeaux