Re: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:11:18 +0530

If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> Lets say that you want to create a GNU only
> webservice, that can only be accessed from other GNU
> software.
        Maybe I'm vendor lockin phobic. But I think freesoftware
wasn't meant to be vendor specific.
> interface and you are not free to remove it.
        Aha !, this is *not* freedom as I see it. We could
opt for an extended webcomponent license. like "Any remote
method execution/data processing will be considered as linking
to the webcomponent in question".

        But since GCC is under the hammer right now, I suggest
that the instead of using the LGPL style, we should opt for
such a licensing scheme. So as long as they have to ack that
GCC is being used, they'll have to (L)GPL their software.
> That would allow you to disallow the usage of the
> software via the network from non-free software, once
        I think making it impossible to write non free software
works better ;). GPL has proved that point beyond doubt.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success