Re: Introspector & Treecc (was: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and

From: Gopal.V
Subject: Re: Introspector & Treecc (was: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC)
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 18:08:03 +0530

If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> Are these function and data types for c? Can I
> represent  the function type  of "printf" in IL?
        Do you mean a variable number parameter ?
ie var_arg . Or just map a native function into
IL ?.

        The second is damn easy. I can send you the code
for running puts/sleep/fork from IL -- even accept()
or bind().
> > ILField, ILMethod, etc.
> I will look into them pronto!
        check out the include/il_program.h please.
> That is great! what function/module loads these
> structure into memory?
        Hey the csdocvalil could easily dump the whole
deal in XML if needed. It already loads the metadata
& the ECMA All.xml -- it already compares the two and
outputs the diff in XML . (for the status page).

        Or if that's too complex (it is for /me) , check out
ildiff or ilfind for the loading procedures.
> Creation of a set of transformation of native c
> functions given a simple c function_type to a CIL
> metadata block and the generations of the CIL code to
> link to it?
        This brings up a "wonderful" idea in my mind. Can
we write a C# wrapper gen using the Introspector running
off header files (.h) ?. A wrapper gen will simplify a
lot of our troubles (not solve, simplify).

        Also for calling C# from C, you can use stuff like.
|| static int CallMethod(ILExecThread *thread, ILMethod *method,
||                                        void *result, int isCtor,
||                                        void *_this, VA_LIST va);
        I think with this stuff & the meta-data functions
at hand, a C# method can be easily called from C. But
isn't that a bit too complex.
> That would allow for any lib to be linked into a CIL
> and provide the metadata that is needed to invoke it.
> (Getting us back into the abuse of the GPL discussion)
        *link* is the key word.

Gopal.V
--
 The difference between insanity and genius is only measured by success