Re: Introspector & Treecc (was: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: Introspector & Treecc (was: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 11:51:22 +1000

"Gopal.V" wrote:

> If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > What is DOTGNU stance on CodeDom?
> > That seems to be the essence of the introspector, but for .NET.
>
>         I think the first step towards a CodeDom would be completing the
> System.Reflection.Emit classes.

System.CodeDom is part of the "System" assembly, but it
isn't specified by ECMA.  It is part of the MS-specific
.NET Framework SDK pieces.

>         I'm really lost at how we should implement this -- should we base
> it on our lower level functions ?.

Or just use Mono's implementation, as they already have it?

Since it isn't ECMA-compliant and can probably be written
completely in C# with no runtime engine dependencies,
I would consider it to be a "high-level library".

The danger I see in writing our own CodeDom is that we may
essentially end up building our own compiler in C#.  There are
already too many C# compilers - we don't need another.

Any volunteers to try to adapt the Mono implementation
for use in pnetlib?