Re: Introspector & Treecc (was: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and G

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: Introspector & Treecc (was: [DotGNU]Licence question about GNU and GCC)
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 12:30:41 +0100

> Maybe a simple set of tranlation rules would be the
> ideal representation of the knowlege of the
> differences between the two language representations?

Hmm... how about an abstraction layer that allows us
to write code to access the different ASTs in exactly
the same way?  My dream would be that for those
optimizations which make sense for many programming
languages, the same optimizer code could be used both
in gcc and in cscc.

Such an abstraction layer might avoid any need for
converting between different AST types in performance-
critical contexts.  We'll still want to have a tool for
testing purposes that can do such conversions, but it
may be ok to implement that by converting the native XML
representation of the original AST to the native XML
representation of the target AST type.

(?)

Greetings, Norbert.

--