[DotGNU]Re: payback time for MS & BSD

From: Daniel Carrera
Subject: [DotGNU]Re: payback time for MS & BSD
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:59:47 -0500 (EST)

> One can make the argument that the non-copylefted BSD UNIX, and all the
> code-forking that happened with it and proprietary companies in the first
> place, allowed Windows to take over in the first place.
>
> Maybe .NET on FreeBSD is like some sort of twisted `thank-you'....

Maybe you are right.  Speaking of forking, maybe dotGNU should be
colaborating with Mono a little more.

I know that the two groups have disagreements (that's always the reason
for forking).  However, we should learn from the errors of Unix.  We must
be careful not to repeat them.  Yes I know that everyone here feels that
there is a very good reason to disagree with Mono.  Then again, the Unix
folks felt the same way.  We must see beyond even the not so superficial
differences and avoid the trap that Unix fell in.

Yes, I realize that dotGNU and Mono are not a fork, but it has a very
similar effect: split of programmers and duplication of effort.

dotGNU is embarked in a very important endeavour.  Microsoft has realized
that the Windows will not last, and they have bet the entire company on
.NET

The dotGNU website gives some very good arguments as to why .NET will be
the "final showdown" between propietary and free software.  This is a
battle that we do not want to lose.

I am realistic enough to see that outright cooperation is not going to
happen.  However, we should at least try to minimize the duplication of
code.  The C# libraries seems like a good place to start.

Can Mono and dotGNU already use each other's libraries?  I figure as
much.  Both groups could agree to just grab each other's libraries and not
rewrite them.

Sincerely,
Daniel.