Re: [DotGNU]texinfo book! (was Re: DotGNU -- The Book ?)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]texinfo book! (was Re: DotGNU -- The Book ?)
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 2002 14:46:14 +1000

S11001001 wrote:

> I would strongly counter-suggest Texinfo. It is simpler than LaTeX, with
> more intuitive syntax, and what's more, it's the GNU standard. i.e. what
> if I want to build a HTML manual? latex2html output isn't so wonderful.
> Plus all the usual reasons Texinfo is good. (BTW, all you have to do is
> an @alias example codesample, and there's your extraction marks ;)

I concur.  Texinfo is one of the better ways to do this.
It is trivial to generate interactive help (info), online
(html), and printed (pdf or ps) documentation from the
same Texinfo input file:

info ==>  makeinfo blah.texi
html ==>  texi2html blah.texi
pdf  ==>  texi2dvi --pdf blah.texi

Check out "treecc.texi" and "pnettools.texi" in the pnet
source for samples of how to do it.  Then read the manual
"info texinfo" for the gory details of the format.  It is
pretty easy to pick up.