Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU -- The Book ? (was: Some thoughts about DotGNU)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Re: DotGNU -- The Book ? (was: Some thoughts about DotGNU)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 18:24:51 +0200

Peter Minten <address@hidden>

> But I feel that making ruby/perl/python bytecoded isn't the way to go,
> they derive their power mainly from flexibility and that's mostly lost
> when compiling. I don't know about perl/python, but the most logical
> (and easy) solution for ruby seems to be interfacing with the existing
> standard ruby interpreter.

I think the way to go is to port both Parrot (the bytecode
interpreter of Perl 6) and the bytecode interpreter of Python
to work as SEE plugins.

(There's nothing wrong with bytecode, the problem is just with
trying to compile everything to a bytecode language designed for
languages that are in some ways similar to C#.)

Now with several separate plugind that implement different VMs,
it is obvious to ask this questions:

  Will it be possible to access data structures and call methods
  in code that is in another VM?

I propose that this functionality be implemented as a separate
SEE plugin (maybe to be called "the meta-VM"), which in turn
allows multiple VMs to be plugged into it.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member
Tel +41 1 972 20 59         Fax +41 1 972 20 69        http://norbert.ch