RE: [DotGNU] NSIS Win32 installer - PNET (ex-RE: [DotGNU]Fwd: Re: PNET)

From: Robert Johnson
Subject: RE: [DotGNU] NSIS Win32 installer - PNET (ex-RE: [DotGNU]Fwd: Re: PNET)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 07:53:09 -0700 (PDT)

> I also checked many examples today (from NSIS CVS,
> NSIS
> website and NSIS forums). I saw that they developed
> a CVS plugin, and even an updater for NSIS which
> get the latest diffs and merge from their CVS.
>
> That may be useful later to update without getting
> the whole package.
>
> It is available there if you want to test it:

Thanks for the information I will check it out.

I have published the new installers at the following
location:

Treecc
http://download.freedom.biz/contrib/bobj/TREECC-0-2-6-Installer.exe

Portable.Net (Complete)
http://download.freedom.biz/contrib/bobj/PNET-0-5-10-Installer-Complete.exe

Portable.Net (Light)
http://download.freedom.biz/contrib/bobj/PNET-0-5-10-Installer-Light.exe

Norbert - when you get a chance can you make these
files accessible so that they can be downloaded by
Anthony.

Anthony - when Norbert makes the files available make
sure to grab the Portable.Net (Complete) installer.
This installer will have have everything include the
installation scripts. I took a look at some of the
other options with the NIS scripts and there is a
switch to make the default language French, German,
Greek, etc.. I'm not sure how good the translation is
but you can check it out. Also you may want to check
out the HM NIS Editor
(http://www.geocities.com/hmsoftcr/nisedt.htm).

I have used it to build the installers and found it
incredibly helpful and easy to use (especially the new
 script wizard).

One other thing to think about with the updater you
will be working on. I had not posted this suggestion
to the list yet but I guess this is a s good a time as
any. What does everyone think of an updater (possibly
written in c#) which could update Portable.net on
Linux/OS X/BSD. The installer could make uses of DGEE
as a web service to check the Portable.Net version of
a user and offer to update it to the latest version. I
don't know if this even possible to do at this stage
but I thought it might be interesting to think about.

Anthony you may want to keep this in the back of your
mind when you create the updater. I think making the
updater a managed code application (c#,vb,bf, ect..)
in the future would be help full for other platforms
as well as windows. It also may be a good test for
DGEE to see what it can handle.

What ever changes that you make with installer forward
to me via email and I can take a look and add my 2
cents.

Thanks

Bob J