RE: [DotGNU] NSIS Win32 installer - PNET (ex-RE: [DotGNU]Fwd: Re: PNET)

From: Anthony Nguyen
Subject: RE: [DotGNU] NSIS Win32 installer - PNET (ex-RE: [DotGNU]Fwd: Re: PNET)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:06:32 +0200

[Anthony Nguyen (address@hidden) said:]
Yes, there's a function (or a set of functions if you are
not using Modern UI) that you can add in .onInit event,
so it will display a dialog to choose the language
when you launch the installer.

It translates all the buttons and common forms stuff (
Next, Previous, default Licence Agreement).
So we will still have to define lang strings for the
custom text we will display.

The translation is quite accurate for french,
I do not know for others, but there are still updating
language files.

> Also you may want to check out the HM NIS Editor
> (http://www.geocities.com/hmsoftcr/nisedt.htm).
>
> I have used it to build the installers and found it
> incredibly helpful and easy to use (especially the new
>  script wizard).

[Anthony Nguyen (address@hidden) said:]
Thanks, I'll check it out.

> One other thing to think about with the updater you
> will be working on. I had not posted this suggestion
> to the list yet but I guess this is a s good a time as
> any. What does everyone think of an updater (possibly
> written in c#) which could update Portable.net on
> Linux/OS X/BSD. The installer could make uses of DGEE
> as a web service to check the Portable.Net version of
> a user and offer to update it to the latest version. I
> don't know if this even possible to do at this stage
> but I thought it might be interesting to think about.
>
> Anthony you may want to keep this in the back of your
> mind when you create the updater. I think making the
> updater a managed code application (c#,vb,bf, ect..)
> in the future would be help full for other platforms
> as well as windows. It also may be a good test for
> DGEE to see what it can handle.

[Anthony Nguyen (address@hidden) said:]
I guess that it would be possible to launch a browser
window on a particular address containing the service
or execute any program with any parameters you want.

I made a mistake in my previous mail, the NSIS updater
downloads plugins, but in fact it uses CVSnt to
auto-update their program (not a custom plugin).

[Anthony Nguyen (address@hidden) said:]

Here is how it works:

It checks if the 4 files needed are in the installer
folder, if not, it will download them.

Then it uses this script:
      nsExec::ExecToLog '"${NSISBINPATH}\cvs95.exe" -q -z3 update -d -P'
      Pop ${TEMP1}
      Goto CheckCVSReturn

So if the updater can be compiled as an executable
or if it can be placed as a web service, it may
seem possible to use it from NSIS updater without
much effort nor major modifications.