Re: [Pnet-developers] [Bug #2806] CSCC virtual memory exhausted

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [Bug #2806] CSCC virtual memory exhausted
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:27:14 +1000

On Thursday 20 March 2003 10:10 am, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> If you want a one liner, please do that. I dont think it will help
> that much.

I have already made it clear that I don't consider the one-line patch
necessary, but if someone else wants to spend some time on it, then I will
treat the patch like all others.  i.e. see if it really solves the problem;
make sure it doesn't break anything else; is in keeping with DotGNU's core
mission; and then perhaps even apply it.

The ball is in your court.  Until then, the bug remains closed.

> The real problem with the pnet right now is the lack of diagnostic and
> meta information dumping.

I've never had this problem.  I'm yet to discover a bug that couldn't be found
using gdb, carefully positioned printf statements, and my knowledge of what
is where and how it all fits together.  I find your belief that adding
copious amounts of debug statements will somehow make the code easier to read
and debug to be quite hilarious.  My experience has been that adding more
code to a buggy project only makes it more buggy, not less.

> I will try and make the change clean enough so that you may include
> them if you feel like it, I make no illusions that you are interested.
> I am sure you will love just deleting the patch.

I don't love deleting patches.  I hate it in fact.  Telling someone no is
never easy.

I delete them if they don't solve the problem, introduce unnecessary features,
are unduly messy, could be done in a simpler way, or aren't in keeping with
DotGNU's core mission.  Is it my fault that this describes 99% of your
contributions to date?

You would find me to be much more sympathetic if you ditched your attempts to
introspector-ize pnet by stealth, focused on fixing problems instead of
adding debug code, and started working on things that actually move pnet
towards ECMA-complete.  If you cannot do this, then I suggest that you
unsubscribe from the DotGNU mailing lists and leave.

Cheers,

Rhys.