dotgnu-visionaries

Re: [Visionaries] Vision of debugging webservices : Interceptors

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Visionaries] Vision of debugging webservices : Interceptors
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 19:39:13 +0200 (CEST)

James Michael DuPont <address@hidden> wrote

> I would like to see the possibility of being able to debug
> web services using xmlrpc, by intercepting method calls.

We certainly need tools for debugging webservices.  However
I doubt that the above suggestion is a good solution.

I'd rather suggest that there is a "data recording mode"
in which the webservice server logs all data that is necessary
for replaying exactly whatever the webservice program is doing.
(This includes both data that is received via the network and also
copies of all database records that are retrieved by the webservice
program.)

The administrator of a webservice (who has "debugging privileges")
could use xml-rpc to switch this "data recording mode" on or off or
download the collected data.  Then this data can be used to test
the webservice program with a debugger.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/