dotgnu-visionaries

Re: [Visionaries] Vision of debugging webservices : Interceptors

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Visionaries] Vision of debugging webservices : Interceptors
Date: Sun, 4 May 2003 23:27:54 -0700 (PDT)

--- Norbert Bollow <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Well, I disagree.  The "interceptor" idea requires adding
> complexity
> > > to the VMs in an area where things should be kept as simple as
> > > possible so that we can optimise for speed.
> >
> > No, it does not, I disagree.
> >
> > An interceptor can be implemented as a store and forward
> webservice. A
> > man in the middle attack if you wish.
>
> I may have misunderstood you... are you talking about intercepting
> RPC, or about hacking the VM so that it can intercept method calls
> which are supposed to happen inside a single VM?

I am talking about a way to intercept webservice calls,
not method calls.
This can happen inside or outside the server.

> (I thought you were talking about the latter.  If you were talking
> about intercepting RPC, then the objections which I raised apply
> only to how I misunderstood your suggestion, and not to the
> suggestion itself.)

Thats ok,
No, intercepting methods calls in one vm is not the plan for this
debugger. Of course it would be a powerful tool to be able to intercept
any call to any function, and even apply security aspects to each
function call. But this is what we considered to be overkill in our
last  discussion.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont