Re: [Duplicity-talk] First full backup has no errors, but --verify does

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] First full backup has no errors, but --verify does
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 17:44:54 -0600

Jacob wrote:
>> What is the name and version of the FTP server running at the host computer?
>
> Pure-FTPd, they said there is no version number.
>
> OK, I just ran another backup on a different part of my computer (a part I
> had planned to back up) with the now-installed v0.4.8. I checked with -V to
> make sure it was actually using v0.4.8 and it is. However, even then it
> refuses to verify or even see the backups created.

OK, I just installed pure-ftpd on a test machine (Ubuntu Feisty).  I see
the problem, but the problem is not in duplicity.  Its something between
ncftpls and pure-ftp.  If you run
   'ncftpls ftp://address@hidden/store/backup/home-jacob'
you will see an empty list and duplicity can't work with that.

OTOH, if you run 'ncftp -u user site.org' and do an ls, it works.  I
think the problem may be in ncftpls itself.

I'm thinking I'll rewrite the ftpBackend using pexpect and just ncftp.
That will have certain advantages, more than just fixing this problem.

We should really work to ban FTP.  Its entirely too insecure and quirky
to be used for anything serious.