Re: [Duplicity-talk] First full backup has no errors, but --verify does

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] First full backup has no errors, but --verify does
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 05:38:19 -0600

Nicolas Aspert wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Kenneth Loafman wrote:
>> I'm thinking I'll rewrite the ftpBackend using pexpect and just ncftp.
>> That will have certain advantages, more than just fixing this problem.
>>
>> We should really work to ban FTP.  Its entirely too insecure and quirky
>> to be used for anything serious.
>>

> I really disagree with this. Okay, ftp has its drawbacks but it is also
> the fastest way of transferring data ! Security is sufficient if you
> operate in a LAN, of course you should not rely on this if you transfer
> your backups via the internet.
>
> So let's keep the ftp backend, unless an equivalent backend (in speed)
> can be found ! Transferring 120GB+ can be a pain :)

Sorry, did not mean to start such a storm.  I do NOT propose to stop
supporting FTP, but FTP has to be responsible for most of the trouble we
have due to the quirks that are in a lot of implementations.

FTP is one of the oldest protocols around, invented when the internet
was a friendly environment.  Now its not.  Yes, FTP is quite usable over
the intranet, but you really need something more secure and standard for
the internet.