Re: [Duplicity-talk] First full backup has no errors, but --verify does

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] First full backup has no errors, but --verify does
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:31:33 -0600

Darik Horn wrote:
>> I'm thinking I'll rewrite the ftpBackend using pexpect and just ncftp.
>> That will have certain advantages, more than just fixing this problem.
>
> Did these glitches happen with the pure-Python backend?

These and worse.

> Rather, what was the motivation for changing the FTP backend to use the
> external ncftp utilities?

The folks that support the pure-python FTP module will not even consider
tweaking their masterpiece to work with FTP servers that are not
strictly RFC compliant.  After blowing me off on a couple of issues that
would allow them to work with popular servers, I blew them off.  I don't
have time for dogma.  I just want it to work as well as possible.  NcFTP
was chosen because it works with a wide range of popular servers and has
the common sense to adapt to their quirks.

> Please consider PyCurl if you're still pondering alternatives:
>
>   http://pycurl.sourceforge.net/

Not really.  I know NcFTP works with quirky servers.  If I went the
PyCurl route, I would have to know that they are willing to bend to
reality rather than dogma.