Re: [Duplicity-talk] Announcing Déjà Dup

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Announcing Déjà Dup
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 20:01:05 +0200

Michael Terry wrote:
For example, I saw on the list a while back, that it's not encouraged
to forever do incremental backups, that you should occasionally make a
fresh full backup.  Why?

One of the reasons: If one file in the incremental chain develops even just one bit flip, the chances rather high are your whole backup is useless. Another one is possibly just caution towards duplicity itself. It's been around for a while now but in fairness, it was not tested as widely as one would like for a dependable backup tool (in my case, I use it as second line of defence, next to backing up to encrypted USB storage).