[Duplicity-talk] zfec vs. par2 (and, hello there!) (was: Announcing Déj

From: zooko
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] zfec vs. par2 (and, hello there!) (was: Announcing Déjà Dup)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 09:07:52 -0600

On Oct 16, 2008, at 16:11 PM, Kenneth Loafman wrote:

And yes, as Peter has said, duplicity needs a lot of work, especially on
error handling and par2 for protection of backups.

Consider also using zfec [1], a library that I maintain. It has a Python bindings and it is actively used in the Allmtydata-Tahoe-LAFS project [2], and the flud project [3], at least. zfec is based on the long-standing, widely used "fec" library thanks to Luigi Rizzo and many contributors over the years. It seems to be much faster than par2 for a few experiments that I tried (documented in the zfec README.txt), but it is possible that I was using par2 wrong.

By the way, this is my first post to this list. I look forward to messing with duplicity in the future. Hi there!

Regards,

Zooko

[1] http://allmydata.org/trac/zfec
[2] http://allmydata.org/trac/tahoe