Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Announcing Déjà Dup

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Announcing Déjà Dup
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:01:03 +0200

Michael Terry wrote:

That would be good.  Peter mentioned the difficulty of knowing
particular files were being handled, or even how many volumes would
end up being used.  Knowing such an upper limit would be crucial, as
without an idea of the total scope (total number of volumes), I can't
provide an actual progress bar.  A metric that provides both an end
point and how-far-we-are-now would be most helpful.

I think it's nigh impossible to really know how many volumes you are going to need because it is very hard to forecast how well the data will compress... I think I would base the metric on the percentage of *uncompressed* data already having been handled stipulating that on average, data will be compressed by the same factor.