[eLyXer-users] Re: elyxer requests

From: Alex Fernandez
Subject: [eLyXer-users] Re: elyxer requests
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 23:58:24 +0100

Hi Sam,

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:34 PM, Sam Liddicott <address@hidden> wrote:
> Elyxer is great.

Thanks!

> I've used it to generate some great looking html for my lyx literate
> programming tool at:
> http://repo.or.cz/w/newfangle.git/blob_plain/master:/www/docs/newfangle.html
> (git site: http://repo.or.cz/w/newfangle.git)
>
> I have a few requests...

Sure, but from now on please make your requests to the eLyXer users
mailing list (in CC). Many LyX developers understandably do not want
to be bothered with details about an external package. I am leaving
lyx-devel for this message, but in any follow-ups please remove it.
For those of you who don't care about eLyXer please ignore the rest.

> 1. Please could elyxer support alternate character encodings besides utf-8?
> repo.or.cz insists on serving as ISO-8859-1.
[snip]
> It would be better for elyxer to pick the replacement, for in a listing an
> underscore where a visible space was shown is going to cut-n-paste wrong as
> well as look wrong.

I can add a menu option without too much trouble.

> 2. Please could it emit listings differently, the <code> tag it uses causes
> code to cut-n-paste as a single line and also to display as a single line if
> no css is enabled.

You are right, I tried to be too clever with the CSS:
code.listing {
        white-space: pre;
}
but it would be better to use a pre.listing tag.

> 3. Please could listings align left instead of centre. I've hacked this in
> css for all floats, but I think it only needs doing for listings.

For this one I have to look into it. I had align left at some point
but removed it to make the code more uniform. I guess it should be
doable.

> 4. Are listings able to show line numberings? There ought to be a separate
> line number counter for each named listing, and the counters resume next
> time a listing of the same name appears. This point could have more
> discussion as I also hope elyxer will support the chunk command used by my
> literate programming module.

They are able indeed to show line numberings, but numbers do not
resume as you want. Also, I don't know what the chunk command should
do. Could you send a sample for each of these cases (the .lyx file is
enough) to me directly?

Thanks,

Alex.