RE: A modern-mode?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:37:29 +0000 (UTC)

> Easy-mode as opposed to expert, obviously. ;)
> Starter-mode
> Familiar-mode
> Familiar-defaults-easy-start-mode? ;)

newbie-mode
___________

Someone who's a newbie and sees "Newbie"
can think (at least) two things:

1. It's easy, intended for newbies, so maybe
   it's for me, at least for now.

2. Maybe it's something I might want to grow
   out of.  It's maybe not the "real" or "full"
   thing.  There's more to Emacs than this mode.

#1 can encourage a newbie, especially if timid,
to try it.

#2 can encourage someone to move beyond it, and
discover and use more of Emacs.

The Emacs Wiki has long had pages that aimed
especially at newbies, and referred to as such.
They've helped a lot of people, and I've never
seen a negative reaction to use of the term
"newbie".

This is like "training wheels" for someone
learning to ride a bike.  You trust them, use
them to help you get going, but you want to
get to a point where you can really ride
without them.