Re: A modern-mode?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 12:03:51 +0300

On 16.09.2020 11:58, Gregory Heytings via Emacs development discussions. wrote:

The problem is that Emacs developers would have to agree on what that set of "more modern / friendly defaults" is, which is unlikely to happen. Again, different people have (very!) different ideas of what "modern / friendly" is.

Cue several more weeks of discussions.

A few examples, in the defaults you suggested:

- fido-mode: in another thread Eli explained that in his opinion icomplete's behavior is not intuitive enough for newcomers, and I (and probably others) agree with what he said

It's more intuitive than the absence of any completion hints, which is the current default.

We can swap it for a different system when one is available.

- global-auto-revert-mode: I would strongly object to this, having your editor doing something without asking you for a confirmation is not something many newcomers would find intuitive

It's a feature of many other "modern" editors.