Re: A modern-mode?

From: Gregory Heytings
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 16:47:38 +0000

Hi Andrea,

following recent discussions I've started toying with what I've pushed on scratch/modern-mode.

The (not so new) idea is to have a global minor mode to enable other code we already have in Emacs core to make Emacs a little more friendly/modern to new comers. IOW this is to enable some non excessively invasive features to help people getting into the Emacs universe.

ATM this modern-mode enables: column-number-mode, delete-selection-mode, fido-mode, global-auto-revert-mode, show-paren-mode, winner-mode and windmove, plus is binding ibuffer to C-x C-b.

[...]

Feedback is welcome

I'm biased, but I do not think this is better than the guided tour / interactive guide proposal that Yuan Fu and me sent a few days ago.

The problem of "modern-mode" is that, as the traffic on this list during the last days has shown, different people have different ideas of what "modern" is, and might want to turn each feature on or off. Some might want a dark theme and others not, some might want tabs and others not, and so forth. So it is better to give something more refined than a binary modern/non-modern choice.

Moreover the guided tour proposal introduces the most important concepts of Emacs, and explains how to find help, which I believe is very important if the point is the help people getting (and staying!) into the Emacs universe.