Re: A modern-mode?

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 18:56:57 +0300

On 2020-09-15 17:41 +03, Andrea Corallo via Emacs development discussions.
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> following recent discussions I've started toying with what I've pushed on
> scratch/modern-mode.
>
> The (not so new) idea is to have a global minor mode to enable other
> code we already have in Emacs core to make Emacs a little more
> friendly/modern to new comers.  IOW this is to enable some non
> excessively invasive features to help people getting into the Emacs
> universe.

IMHO this is the best way to go forward.  What’s inside it could be fine
tuned until 28 release, and then a checkbox or a link can introduce it
in the splash screen.

IMHO we could look at Emacs distributions for inspirations regarding
what to have in this mode.

P.S. maybe we’re missing the chance to include a terrible pun not
calling this ‘a-la-mode’?

(that’s not serious at all, of course)

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427