RE: A modern-mode?

From: Theodor Thornhill
Subject: RE: A modern-mode?
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2020 18:31:18 +0200

>> have a global minor mode to enable other
>> code we already have in Emacs core to make Emacs a little more
>> friendly/modern to new comers.
[...]
> It could be good for the mode to have an easy way for
> users to check off (opt in/out) things that they want
> included when the mode is enabled.

Yeah, this is important.  IMO the biggest problem with DOOM/Spacemacs is
that it isn't really easy to declare .emacs bankrupcy and start over,
since so much is convoluted inside the distribution.  I'm afraid a mode
such as this would only serve as some sort of "vendor lock-in", and make
people rely too much on this, rather than creating their own, reading
the docs and code etc.  I think that when you are confused about
something, emacs should guide you to the variable or function in
question, and not hidden away in some mode.  However, I still think this
is a good idea.