Re: A modern-mode?

From: Göktuğ Kayaalp
Subject: Re: A modern-mode?
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2020 13:39:17 +0300

On 2020-09-16 11:58 +03, Gregory Heytings via Emacs development discussions.
<emacs-devel@gnu.org> wrote:
> The problem is that Emacs developers would have to agree on what that
> set of "more modern / friendly defaults" is, which is unlikely to
> happen. Again, different people have (very!) different ideas of what
> "modern / friendly" is.

If we’re trying to make Emacs friendlier for newcomers, I doubt it’s
Emacs developers who need to agree, but the software that they use as a
proxy to their preferences.  And given such agreement exists when you
compare the feature set of these programs, there’s not much room for
debate here actually.

> - fido-mode: in another thread Eli explained that in his opinion
>   icomplete's behavior is not intuitive enough for newcomers, and I
>   (and probably others) agree with what he said

Could be made more intuitive via customisation within the mode.

> - global-auto-revert-mode: I would strongly object to this, having
>   your editor doing something without asking you for a confirmation is
>   not something many newcomers would find intuitive

This is what _all_ these editors do so while maybe you (and I, too)
don’t find it intuitive, that other people do find it intuitive is kinda
obvious.

> - winner-mode: I don't understand why you would turn this on, IMO
>   having C-c <left> and C-c <right> to undo window changes is useless
>   for a newcomer, and C-c <left> / <right> is not a keybinding they
>   can guess by themselves.

And in that case they just use the mouse until they feel like they can
do better.

We could also incorporate a cheat sheet that organises things a bit more
better than C-h m.

But ultimately the beauty of Andrea’s approach is that we can just put
random things in there, write EXPERIMENTAL in all caps in the docstring,
and refine until 28.  What we initially put in there is not all that
important. to be honest.

--
İ. Göktuğ Kayaalp / @cadadr / <https://www.gkayaalp.com/>
pgp:   024C 30DD 597D 142B 49AC 40EB 465C D949 B101 2427