Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: non-gnu elpa issue tracking
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2020 00:50:52 -0500

  > GitHub does already try to recognize the license used by a repository
  > using heuristics.

That is a bad approach on their part.  We will not trust heuristics.
A package should state its licensing clearly, and before we put
a package into NonGNU ELPA (or anything else), we need that to be clear.

If a package doesn't make its licensing clear, we should ask the
developers to fix that.

      > $ curl --silent -H 'Accept: application/vnd.github.v3+json' \
      >     https://api.github.com/repos/melpa/melpa/license | grep spdx
      > "spdx_id": "GPL-3.0",

That is an obsolete, deprecated SPDX identifier.
SPDX deprecated it because it is ambiguous.
Is it "GPL 3 only" or "GPL 3 or later"?

That question is important to us, because we want "GPL 3 or later"
(like Emacs) and will not accept "GPL 3 only".

The vagueness about license versions is one of the harmful things
that GitHub does.

--
Dr Richard Stallman