Re: Recentish C-s M-y change

From: Filipp Gunbin
Subject: Re: Recentish C-s M-y change
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2020 20:18:11 +0300

On 31/12/2020 08:54 -0800, Drew Adams wrote:

> In addition, this kind of thing should, I think, be
> brought up in emacs-devel for discussion, before
> being changed in the code.
>
> More and more (my impression), things, even major
> things, are getting changed through just bug reports.
> Dunno whether that's intentionally to avoid wider
> discussion, but it has that effect.
>
> Bug threads not only have less participation; they
> also tend to be more focused, possibly disregarding
> wider implications.
>
> I, for one, think it's better to hash things out
> first here.

Such visible changes are usually reflected in the NEWS.  There could be
a post-commit hook or something which would send the notification when a
change in NEWS is being committed.  For me, such a thing would be very
useful (in addition, I almost never get to read the NEWS even after new
release, this way I won't need to).

Filipp