Re: Special Event: Davin reveals his own personal additions to Emacs.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Special Event: Davin reveals his own personal additions to Emacs.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 08:57:16 -0400

> In all my code I use the practice of prefixing all of my functions and
> variables with <tt>dmp</tt> where DMP stands for Davin Max Pearson
> which is my name.

I think it's a fairly common practice.  I tend to use `my-` for that
purpose, hoping that there's a chance we can avoid having someone write
a package that uses this `my-` prefix, whereas it seems unlikely that
noone will ever write a package that uses a prefix which conflicts
with someone's initials.

Maybe we should officially declare the `my-` prefix as reserved for the
end-user.

> I am unsure of just how useful this practice is for adding to the
> Emacs sources.

When distributing code for other people to use, such a "personal prefix"
should be replaced with something else, indeed.

        Stefan