Re: EBrowse obsolete?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: EBrowse obsolete?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:51:59 +0200

Jim Porter <jporterbugs@gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/21/2022 9:51 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Visuwesh [2022-07-21 21:46:24] wrote:
>>> Surprisingly, complaints about running LSP over TRAMP comes up really
>>> often in Reddit.
>> Ah, so that's what you mean by "over the network".  I'm surprised it
>> comes up that often.  I don't think it's a super-common use case
>> (e.g. what other editor offers such a functionality?  What do non-Emacs
>> users do when they have such a need?).
>
> I don't use VS Code myself, but from talking with people who do, my
> understanding is that it supports LSP over SSH. (VS Code is a bit
> different in that it requires you to install a specific VS Code server
> on the remote host though, so maybe the closest analogy in Emacs would
> really be using emacsclient over TCP.)

Indeed, VS Code uses a remote server for that, see
<https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/remote/remote-overview>. It does not
require you to install it manually, adding the "Remote Development
extension pack" does the trick. This installs the remote VS Code server
on the remote host when needed.

OTOH, Tramp uses a remote shell as a REPL engine. That is another
approach, and less performant.

(In the past I've tried to use remote Perl or Python programs as REPL
engine, but the performance was even worse).

> For what it's worth, I do a *lot* of editing over Tramp and have tried
> Eglot-over-Tramp in the past. It mostly works, but it does require a
> bit of fiddling, since it seems to occasionally trigger a race
> condition in Tramp code. I vaguely recall a WIP Tramp branch that
> improved the reentrancy of Tramp code which might fix this, but I'm
> sure that's pretty tricky to get 100% right.

Yes.

> - Jim

Best regards, Michael.