Re: EBrowse obsolete?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: EBrowse obsolete?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 11:57:12 +0200

Hi Stefan,

>> I don't use VS Code myself, but from talking with people who do, my
>> understanding is that it supports LSP over SSH. (VS Code is a bit different
>> in that it requires you to install a specific VS Code server on the remote
>> host though, so maybe the closest analogy in Emacs would really be using
>> emacsclient over TCP.)
>
> Indeed, I don't think we can hope to get good performance with an
> approach like that of Tramp which works hard to try and avoid requiring
> installation of a "Emacs server" on the other end.

FTR, there are proposals to use a remote Emacs instance as server. This
approach sounds interesting, but due to the disadvantages, and the
amount of work, I've never tired a prototype.

> This said, it's probably possible to make it "good enough" in most
> cases, tho it may require extra work.

Sigh.

> [ Reminds me that I've wished for an Emacs where the `buffer_text`
>   object is remote, so you can open a 10GB remote file, navigate
>   inside of it, and edit it without having to transfer the whole 10GB.  ]

Hmm. Could you please elaborate a little bit, how this ought to work?
Unless there is a remote Emacs instance?

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.