ff3d-users

Re: [ff3d-users] Using complex geometry....error using "cylinder"??

From: Stephane Del Pino
Subject: Re: [ff3d-users] Using complex geometry....error using "cylinder"??
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:38:38 +0200

Arun Viswanathan wrote:

> Hello Stephane,
>
> I have now changed my povray file, I removed of the
> 'box' part since you said it was not required. I also
> corrected the 'pigment' part within the 'intersection'
> (checked page 24 of the manual, according to which I
> added just one line to define the color for the whole
> intersection). It just occured to me, now that I have
> removed the 'box', should it be a 'union' (of
> cylinders) or is 'intersection' still correct??
You have nothing more to do: the Union is implicit since the objects
have the same color.

> I have also defined the boundary conditions as you had
> suggested. Thank you for pointing out the errors, now
> the program runs. But, I now have the output (showing
> a number of iterations) and the '.dat' file, they are
> both different. Which one of them contains the
> solutions to the PDE?
The .dat file contains the numerical solution.

> I would also like to visualize the geometry. I am
> using Opendx for this, but I don't know in what format
> I must save the file to visualize it ('.dat' does not
> seem right to me, any suggestions??).
Mixing the solution visualization and the solution of the PDE is not an
easy task. To do so, you have to save the mesh of your domain using a
syntax like:
        mesh oMesh = surface(Omega,M);
        save(opendx, "oMesh.dx", oMesh);
and then *learn more* about OpenDX. Note that I am not sure that saving
meshes in OpenDx format is implemented. This is part of the ongoing
work...

If you just want to visualize the geometry separately, just use POV-Ray
on the .pov file.

Regards,
Stephane.