Re: [patch] Simplify ftconfig.h

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [patch] Simplify ftconfig.h
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2020 23:39:26 +0200

Le lun. 6 juil. 2020 à 11:58, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> a écrit :

> Werner, please don't commit something if you think there are still
> problems in it, that's what code reviews are,

Normally, I do that.  However, I've already invested a lot of time in
writing ChangeLog entries...

Would you consider dropping the ChangeLog entries. It is far simpler to rely on the git history for this, and just enforcing that commiter provide meaningful commit message should be enough?
Also, whenever you reformat some of the patches that are sent to you, the original author has to resolve the conflicts manually, or drop its own branch, which is not always practical (e.g. when there are other work-in-progress commits/branches on top of the one that was originally submitted). Would you consider using clang-format to automate the formatting task? I think we can get pretty close to the FreeType formatting standard with a Clang style sheet. It won't be 100% the same, but close enough to avoid repetitive work.

> See attached patch for a fix.

Applied, thanks.  Note, however, that there are still issues with
`make multi CC=c++` (I'm using g++ 7.5.0):

Yes, here's another patch that tries to fix this. Sorry about that.
Also Ben Wagner noticed me that some third-party code is using FT_UNUSED(), so I've moved it back to public-macros.h to avoid breaking this.

  c++ -ansi -pedantic \
      -Ifreetype2.compiled [...] \
      freetype2/src/base/ftsystem.c
  In file included from freetype2/include/freetype/config/ftconfig.h:45:0,
                   from freetype2/src/base/ftsystem.c:29:
  freetype2/include/freetype/config/public-macros.h:83:61: error:
    expected unqualified-id before string constant
   #define FT_EXPORT( x )  FT_PUBLIC_FUNCTION_ATTRIBUTE extern "C" x
                                                               ^
  freetype2/include/freetype/fterrors.h:281:3: note:
    in expansion of macro ‘FT_EXPORT’
     FT_EXPORT( const char* )
     ^~~~~~~~~

> Sorry about that.  We need a better way to automatically check our
> builds.  [...]  I'll work on a proper rebuild-check script first
> though...

I don't worry about that right now, and please don't invest too much
time here.  This is something after a switch to a new build system
IMHO.

    Werner