fsuk-manchester

Re: [Fsuk-manchester] IRC Channel

From: Paul Waring
Subject: Re: [Fsuk-manchester] IRC Channel
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 12:37:44 +0100

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 05:59:32PM -0400, Matt Lee wrote:
> One useful task for the chairperson would be the appointing of IRC
> operators, in whichever channel is chosen.
>
> Currently, there are two active channels.
>
> #manlug, on the OFTC network.

#manlug has *nothing* to do with Manchester Free Software - it is
primarily used to organise currybeer and for people to chat random
vaguely IT-related stuff in. It just so happens that some of the people
in the channel are involved in Manchester FS, but then those people are
in other channels too.

> I think it is also important to maintain order, and to use the channel
> as a place to serve as both a central resource and as a noticeboard for
> the community.

Maintaining order is largely self-regulated, I have only had to kick
people from #manlug on one or two occasions (excluding bots/flooders)
and it's been running for about three years.

> IRC Operators serve a useful purpose. They help maintain the channel,
> with updates to topics and such, but they also help maintain the
> conversation. Where the conversation goes off-topic, or people are
> disruptive, they can be removed from the channel. If they are repeatedly
> disruptive, they should be banned.

Conversation is allowed to go off-topic on IRC, unless you're in some
uber-serious channel like #debian.

Paul

--
Paul Waring