gcl-devel

Re: [Gcl-devel] lkt & stream capture

From: Michael Koehne
Subject: Re: [Gcl-devel] lkt & stream capture
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 01:48:05 +0200

Moin Camm Maguire,

> > > The sweet part about this work is that it is all common lisp except
> > > for one function that runs a program and captures the i/o stream.
> > > I believe GCL has that function somewhere.

> (with-open-file (s "|zcat /tmp/gtt.gz" :direction :input) (format t
>      "~S~%" (read s)))
> Any program pipe to stream can be done this way.

  *ouch* I did'nt consider this, as I broke it ;( open wants a
  namestring designator, and "|zcat /tmp/gtt.gz" is not a valid
  namestring. So this point needs some GCL backward compatibilty
  check ... likewise with the obscure auto gzip feature ... ;)

> >   Lets look, how RUN-PROCESS works out
>
> Yes this needs work to come back online.  faslinking too perhaps.
> These are the two major areas of currently disabled code which need
> not be.

  faslinking is not on my topic, because I dont understand the basics
  (bfd&unexec) of the code, and only know -ldl a bit - but I know a
  lot about on unix-basics, so I think that I might find a bug, if
  there is one under linux with run-process, and add some way to
  support raw-fd-io stream and gray streams. Goal of such an improvement
  would be to provide a base GCL socket code, so clx and tcl-tk could
  do their part without the need of linking additional own code.

Bye Michael
--
  mailto:address@hidden             UNA:+.? 'CED+2+:::Linux:2.4.22'UNZ+1'
  http://www.xml-edifact.org/           CETERUM CENSEO WINDOWS ESSE DELENDAM