[gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [gfsd]Re: gas/binutils (a.k.a. we really suck sometimes)
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 06:16:52 -0700 (MST)

    I agree, but what I meant is to work as the marketing (uugh!)
    departments work, the webmasters take the information from the
    maintainers and then create a web page following GNU guidelines.

That could have good results, but we don't have the webmaster
resources to do things that way in general.  Once in a while
we ask the webmasters to help prepare web pages for some program,
but it is hard to get the webmasters to actually do that,
so we do it only when we can't avoid it.

    Or,
    as I described in a previous email, for basic web pages all what is
    needed from the maintainer is to create an XML file and a script will
    do the work.

This is, modulo a few details, exactly what we do now to create the
pages of the Free Software Directory.

We will certainly continue creating those pages in that way.  But the
web pages in www.gnu.org/software/PACKAGE are supposed to be a lot
more extensive than that.

    The idea of the XML and the script solves this problem.

Actually, that solves a different problem: how to create
the pages of the Free Software Directory from a file of data.
And that is how we create them.

What we want for www.gnu.org/software/PACKAGE is something very
different and more extensive.  Writing it by hand is the only way.