gnuastro-devel

[sr #110195] Google Summer of Code (GSoC) discussions

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [sr #110195] Google Summer of Code (GSoC) discussions
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2020 12:12:24 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #7, sr #110195 (project gnuastro):

Great! I also think you have selected a relatively simple task. Once you
understand the logic of the Arithmetic program's implementation (which isn't
hard), it should be trivial to do :-). It may also help if you look into the
Arithmetic section
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Arithmetic.html> of
the book.

Did you see the program source section
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Program-source.html>
part of the Developing chapter
<https://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Developing.html>? That
should help you navigate the general/common structure of the source files of
each program.

So for example, to start modifying the code of the Arithmetic program, you
will find its source under the `bin/arithmetic' directory. Reading this
section actively (while also opening the relevant file in the code and looking
into it for the things you read) should be enough to get you started. Then you
can simply start from the program's `main.c' file (which hosts the program's
`main()') and read along to follow the flow of the program and understand the
algorithms. It is all very basic C and heavily commented.

About the new files added after bootstrapping Gnuastro: we have instructed Git
(through `.gitignore') to ignore them. So after bootstrapping is done, if you
run `git status', it should say that everything is clean. If its not, its a
bug and we should fix it ;-).

As a developer in Gnuastro, after bootstrapping, you may also like to use the
`developer-build' and `tests/during-dev.sh' script in the top directory. Run
them with `--help' to see all their steps, or better-yet, open them and read
through them (they are HEAVILY commented). It simplifies the job of the
developer.

For example, when I want to fix a bug or add something, I do this on a clean
commit that hasn't yet been built)

./developer-build -d
emacs tests/during-dev.sh
./tests/during-dev.sh

(Ofcourse, you can edit the `tests/during-dev.sh' script with any text editor
you like ;-)).

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?110195>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/