gnuastro-devel

[sr #110195] Google Summer of Code (GSoC) discussions

From: Mohammad Akhlaghi
Subject: [sr #110195] Google Summer of Code (GSoC) discussions
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 10:53:48 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #12, sr #110195 (project gnuastro):

Thanks for continuing the discussion on task #15109 Sachin. I just pulled your
clone will have a closer look later.

I'll try to give more detailed feedback on that particular task later, since I
am busy now. But before that, let me just make some general notes which I am
putting on the GSoC discussion for others to also see.

Every project usually has a commit-message culture. Before making commits (and
writing the commit message) its good to run `git log' and seeing the previous
commits to get a sense of this "culture". Please do this in Gnuastro's source
and read some previous commit messages to see what I mean.

As you see, the case of Gnuastro, it is really important to be very elaborate
in the commit message. Infact there is a full section on Commit guidelines
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuastro/manual/html_node/Commit-guidelines.html>
in the "Developing" chapter. The basic idea is that we want people to be able
to follow the history by reading the commit messages without necessarily
understanding the code. In fact, most of the discussion should go on in the
commit messages, not on Savannah or GitHub or GitLab and etc, because the
commit messages stay in the history, but text written here are separate.

Ofcourse, if you like to make really small commits, you can keep them like
this, then when they are large enough to actually merge, you can rebase them
into one commit and do a full description there. In this case I think it would
also be necessary because I noticed you had committed your SSH public key into
the Gnuastro history ;-). But even in this case, its good for the one-line
commit message to be descriptive. I see that more than one commit is simply
called "size operator", which isn't good ;-).

Another important point is that there should be no lines with empty
white-space lines. I see two lines with just spaces under your commit
f89757d31
<https://github.com/sachinkumarsingh092/gnuastro/commit/f89757d31f5d>, the
`arithmetic_size' function has two lines that only have white space
characters. You don't see it on GitHub, but if you do a simple `git log' on
your command-line you should see them.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/support/?110195>

  Message sent via Savannah
  https://savannah.gnu.org/