Re: [gnugo-devel] 3.4 vs 3.6 against MFG

From: David G Doshay
Subject: Re: [gnugo-devel] 3.4 vs 3.6 against MFG
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:19:29 -0800

On 7, Mar 2005, at 12:33 PM, address@hidden wrote:

I don't believe GNU Go has ever won a tournament game
against MFG, and I would be surprised if it has caught
up. Your results seem to show GNU Go stronger and that
seems unlikely.

I thought so too, but those are the results we see from a
moderate but not large number of games.

On the other hand GNU Go 3.6 does feel a lot stronger
to me -- subjectively. It doesn't whomp 3.4 but it
can sometimes beat me in a 9 stone game, which I
don't think 3.4 could. It is strong enough to be
an interesting opponent sometimes, which is not
true of 3.4.

It could be that the way that GNU Go is stronger is just
something that really shows against MFG.

We started collecting these games as a baseline from
which to judge the changes to move ordering and eval
that SlugGo does. From these few games it looks like
3.6 against MFG is almost the same as SlugGo against
MFG.

Could you post a few of the games?

OK ...

We have 52 H5 games, 8 H4 games, 8 H2 games, and
28 H0 games ... if you want to see more.

Cheers,
David