Re: Stupid us (was Re: [gnugo-devel] 3.4 vs 3.6 against MFG)

From: Pierce T . Wetter III
Subject: Re: Stupid us (was Re: [gnugo-devel] 3.4 vs 3.6 against MFG)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:13:28 -0700

On Mar 8, 2005, at 10:22 AM, David G Doshay wrote:

On 7, Mar 2005, at 7:57 PM, David Fotland wrote:

Did you check the time settings? If you don't give it enough time it will
play at a weaker playing level.  You can see that because the level
number on the computer button will change.

Yes, this is what happened. It looks like MFG was playing at level 3 ...
an honest but stupid mistake. At least we now have a sensible reason
why we always thought that Many Faces plays so blindingly fast.

This casts doubts on everything I have ever said about SlugGo vs MFG
and we are going to have to go back and revisit everything.

Well, we do know for sure that SlugGo plays better against MFG then GnuGo
alone, so its not as bad as all that.