gnuherds-app-dev

Re: Design vs. usability / functionality focus

From: Davi Leal
Subject: Re: Design vs. usability / functionality focus
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 12:49:34 +0100

Victor Engmark wrote:
> After reading the discussions here the last months, I got a feeling there's
> been too much focus on design, and not so much on usability and
> functionality.

Some tasks sorted by priority, IMHO:

1. Functionality tasks:

    * webpage to administration and management operations
      http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7339

    * Add support to "deadline" date
      http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7412

    * Some bugs.

    * etc.

2. Usability tasks:

    * Follow improving the FAQ section, and others: English wording, etc.
      http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7271

    * etc.

3. Design tasks:

    * Use "HTML 4.01 Strict" instead of "HTML 4.01 Transitional", and
      a <div>s based layout instead of a <table>s based one
      http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?6177

      Note: IMHO this task it too related to 'usability'.

    * etc.

People work on what they are motivated to do. Victor, for example, is
motivated right now to send great feedback. Any kind of contribution help to
finish the project.

> Usability will be paramount on this site (as almost everywhere else).
> I suggest we go with a "boring", Googlish style:
>
>    - Horizontal menus, which are easy to style and read.

Interesting. Anyhow, IMHO, the current gnuherds menu layout is better than the
Google one. Well, Gmail does not use an horizontal menu. The best solution
could depend of the specific case.

The project should not lose something what is good just because it is a little
more difficult to style.  IMHO, the current menu at gnuherds is more easy to
read than a horizontal one. Anyway maybe the gnuherds one could be improved
choosing others colors, as you advice.

Anyway, I add a task to think about it:
  task: http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7468

>    - Black on white, with no formatting at all for links, making it very
>      easy to recognize them at a glance.

Good point!  We should try it and decide later.  After or along Sameer develop
its proposal we could try several colors.

  new task: http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?7469

>    - Content centered horizontally with no width restrictions, making it
>      easier for the user to decide on wide or narrow text without
>      messing up the layout.

If we do not add a width restriction to the content area, the short paragraph
will look odd. Adding the width restriction follows the designer advice
(friend), to be sure the text has a good look.

Sameer, you could look at http://www.gnu.org/
When you modify the font size (Ctrl + +/-) text layout is _exactly_ the same!
Maybe it is due they use '%' instead of fix values all around theirs CSS. I
am not sure.

> Being a web developer, I know how easy it is to get carried away with
> two-column div layouts instead of working on the database schema. But I
> would very much like to see a usable (even ugly / boring), fast, working
> site before seeing any more design variants. How about you?

I totally agree with you, Victor! Anyway:

 * if somebody is motivated to work on design variants it is what
  [s]he should do.

 * we should develop both and usable and non-ugly webapp. Note
   some guys has reported it should be more cool and ...

   As it have being reported, image is important.
   Anyhow, you are right that we should first get an usable webapp
   and later add the eye candy.

Antenore Gatta wrote:
> I'm agree also with Victor, we shouldn't forget accessibility, so what
> about to start with black on white (header and footer excluded).

It is OK. Just a note: What about adding color the the vertical menu and
log-in box.

Anyway, IMHO, Sameer is free to do any kind of proposal he likes. We just
suggest.

> So it could be:
>
> 1. Horizontal language menu (the proposed black).

I agree.

> 2. Header (red and white with logo and project state).

I agree adding the black language-bar at top.

> 3. Horizontal links and login menus (???).

I think vertical is a lot better because of:
  * It is easy to read.
  * It is the more used way to get a menu.
  * Adding too much areas as horizontal will steal a lot of space
    forcing to scroll sooner.
  * .. maybe others reasons.

> 4. Content (simple black on white without link formatting).

I agree. I just note that maybe we should take a look at http://www.gnu.org/
about this subject.

> 5. Footer with background color.

I agree.

P.S.: Colors can be chosen later, but it is good we are already experimenting
with it.