gnuherds-app-dev

Re: GNU Herds -- domains to redirect

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: GNU Herds -- domains to redirect
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 12:25:08 -0500

    Matt suggested it, but I agree it is a good domain name and would be
    2nd in my list, after gnu.jobs :-)

If it is the second-most-important domain name for this, the FSF can
get it, if it is not expensive.

    You are right that there would be no jobs in the near future to
    warrant setting up a federation of job sites, so I would initally use
    them as kinda fun "easter egg" domains, and would have them redirect
    to relevant areas of the canonical site.

    eg www.gpl.jobs -> www.gnuherds.org/jobs/category/gpl (hypothetical URL)

We could, but why bother?

It is not useful to subcategorize a set of just a few things.  If we
have dozens of job offers all the time, then subcategorizing them
could be useful.  So let's wait until we reach that point.

    >  We would not want to have a job site only for jobs on GNU packages.
    >  There are not enough such jobs to make that site interesting.

    Not right now, no. Might there be?

Who knows?  Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Please don't ask people to spend time thinking about this now.
It is a distraction from other work that really is needed.

    candidate for running their own jobs webapp; I can imagine GNOME and
    GNU wanting to federate their jobs listings.

Once we have a good site up and running, we can ask GNOME to join us
in using the one site.  That is less work than implementing "federated
sites", and better for us.

When there are so many job offers requests that the site becomes
unwieldy to use, then we can think of further development work on it.