Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interactions and stuff: proposed rules database.

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Interactions and stuff: proposed rules database.
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:25:20 +1100

On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 11:00, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> Hm, but then we are going to pin down clients to using Python.
> But, OTOH, they can just run it as a script... So, if the
> snippet is run as a standalone script it should pipe it's
> "decision" to stdout or else it's functions will return the
> results... Sounds doable.

Better than doable. It is the "right thing (TM)".
Since Python is easy to embed into virtually any major compiled language, it
is a lot easier to use than writing your own interpreter for a proprietary
script language. It is well documented too, with plenty of hands on examples
how to do it, and it is free. What more could one wish for?

The alternative would be "guile". However, most of the people I spoke to,
found it a lot more difficult to learn - especially for those without an IT
background.

Horst