Re: [Gnumed-devel] Where to start with gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Where to start with gnumed
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 10:20:00 +0100

> Does that mean we drop wxPython and use a web interface!
No, XML-RPC is just another form of API. It has remote calls
built in. It can be wrapped in whatever type of GUI one wants.

If we encapsulate calls to our database in business objects I
think we need not worry about how they go about getting the
data. If XML-RPC is mandated at some point, the business
object ist changed but the application stays the same.

What happens now in gmTmpPatient is this:

name = gmTmpPatient['active name']
print name['first']
print name['last']
print name['nick']
print name['preferred']

Things like 'active name' may just return a dict of reasonable
values while things like 'all names' may return a list of
gmName objects.

The application concerns itself not about the ways of the
gmTmpPatient. For all it cares gmTmpPatient could synthesize
Suaheli out the Soundblaster to send off a messenger to the
N'webwe tribe to ask the Chief for the active name of his
third-born. It just takes longer to respond (and needs to do
speech recognition on feedback).

If I understand Horst correctly that is the main point of our
2.5 tier system: having a thin layer of business objects
inside the application instead of full-blown middleware.

I, of course, understand that this is not the best-of-all
solution but it is one that has worked well for me so far and
that I am comfortable working with.