[Gnumed-devel] Re: Really Dumb Question

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: Really Dumb Question
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:48:58 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, richard terry wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I'm trying to install my nvidia drivers in Mandrake 9.1 and I need to stop the
> X server
>
> Simply logging out doesn't give me an exit point.
For my knowledge you can always:

     /etc/init.d/<daemon> stop

where <daemon> is your login manager (gdm, kdm, xdm, ...).  This works for
all daemons on Debian and if I'm not completely wrong on RedHat and so I guess
on Mandrake as well.  SuSE seems to be the only big distribution which breaks
this simple principle.

Hope this helps

        Andreas.